Ah October is here and there’s several things in this month like
- Today is China’s National Day (October 1st)
- Today is also Nigerian Independence Day
- As well as Turkmenistan’s Independence Day
- Children’s Book Week in England
- The Day that Portugal declared itself a Republic
- Croatian Independence Day (October 8th)
- Canadian Thanksgiving Day (second Monday of the month, for harvest)
- Apple Day (October 21st)
- Halloween is on October 31st
October is most common birth month along with July (my younger nephew and my niece are both October babies). This is also the month that sees the start of the MLB World series and the start of NHL season (Go Sens GO)!
Another strange, but certainly the most enjoyable, trivia is that although it is called Octoberfest Germany’s (and the world’s) largest fair actually starts in September and ends during the first week of October. The Oktoberfest is a two-week festival held each year in Munich, Bavaria, Germany with some six million people attending every year. It is the festival synonymous with beer drinking. A special Oktoberfest beer is brewed for the occasion, which is slightly darker and stronger, in both taste and alcohol.