We had a farewell dinner for our team lead who is leaving for her hometown of Mumbai on Friday. I may never see her again and that is a thought that weighs heavy on my mind and on the minds of some of my teammates. It is with heavy hearts that we will be bidding her farewell but we all know that she has to be with her family and since her dad & sister are going through tough times at the moment, she & her mom (who was staying with her here in Cochin) just have to go back.
By 9 pm we left for Hotel Renaisannce in two cars and waited for 4 of the guys who were coming on their bikes. We had also sent them to go and buy our departing team lead a gift. Once we had settled down and sat at our huge table and we were served soup. A bit after that we went to fill our plates and sat talking while we ate. We gave her the gift and teased her a bit (calling it her 45th birthday present and ofcourse I had to joke about how good plastic surgery is these days) and had a nice time. We went off in different directions at the end of the evening and here I am in my room feeling miserable because I have to say goodbye to her tomorrow.
On Canada Day, July 1st, the first day of free agency, the usual trades started pouring in and man there are some changes!
- Andrew Brunette, who played the last 3 years for the Colorado Avalanche, moves back to the Minnesotta Wild.
- Minnesotta also traded Marek Zidlicky, an offensive-minded defenseman acquired for prospect forward Ryan Jones and a 2009 second-round draft pick.
- Wade Redden, for so long an Ottawa Senator, signs on as a free agent with the New York Rangers
- The Tampa Bay Lightning are the most active team; they signed Gary Roberts, Ryan Malone, Olaf Kolzig, Adam Hall, Radim Vrbata & Vaclav Prospal
- The Chicago Blackhawks added Brian Campbell to their lineup. The star defenceman has signed on for a 8 year deal worth $ 56.8 million. Goalie Cristobal Huet also joins him in Chicago.
- The Florida Panthers signed on Cory Stillman, who had played for the Ottawa Senators & the Carolina Hurricanes last season.
- The Edmonton Oilers traded Raffi Torres to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Gilbert Brule and also sent Joni Pitkanen to Carolina for Erik Cole.
- The Oilers also traded Jarret Stoll, who on Sunday was dealt to Los Angeles along with Matt Greene in exchange for puck-moving defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky.
- Former Hart Trophy winner, Jose Theodore signs on with the Washington capitals.
- Bobby Holik & Brian Rolston join the New Jersey Devils
- Two former Toronto Maple Leafs players Darcy Tucker & Andrew Raycroft have joined the Avalanche
- Michael Ryder signs on with the Boston Bruins
- Toronto brought back Curtis Joseph and also signed Jeff Finger & Niklas Hagman
- Patrick Lalime signs on with the Buffalo Sabres
- Defenceman Mark Streit lands up in New York (Islanders)
- Ottawa sign goalie Alex Auld