A charming movie that you can’t stop watching over & over again. I would label it one of the great romantic movies of all time. You’ve Got Mail, as you already know, is the meeting of two people, adversaries in real life, in the cyber world of chatting and who develop a relationship by trading emails. Tom Hanks’ character finds out the real identity of Meg Ryan’s character and makes her fall in love with him by showing her the real him.
Well other than that, here’s the reasons why this endearing movie has so enamoured me.
- The two lead actors; Tom Hanks is probably my favourite actor of all time and Meg Ryan is Meg Ryan.
- A wonderful supporting cast with Greg Kinnear, Steve Zahn, Parker Posey, Dave Chappelle, Dabney Coleman & Heather Burns. Michael Badalucco has a tiny role as an elevator operator.
- The setting – Manhattan’s Upper West Side is gorgeous, with a small town feel in the big city. An open market, coffeeshops, book stores and people who actually walk from their houses to work!
- Meg’s & Hank’s townhouse apartments (I learned today that shopgirl’s abode is called a brownstone) – I just love the design & roomyness.
- Brinkley the dog. A golden retriever that keeps running about in the scene in which Tom Hanks is deciding whether or not to reply to her mail, after he finds out who shopgirl is. Needless to say, I love goldens and would love to keep one in my apartment.
I had arranged with Binny to meet at Barista Cafe at around 12:15 pm today. Agenda – I was to bring my portable hard drive so he could copy Season 1 & half of Season 2 of Star Trek Voyager into his laptop. We’ve been planning this meeting for a few days but it got delayed due to my ankle sprain. Anyways, I also offered to give him a couple of other movies & tv stuff while he would give me a few movies from his giant list.
At around 11:45 am, Binny finished watching a movie and headed out to Bay Pride Mall only to find Barista closed (with a sign that read ‘Sorry for the inconvenience) and so the venue was changed to right next door – the Bay Pride Mall’s food court! By 12:15 I was there and we sipped our cold drinks and chatted while he copied the files. I got a few movies – You’ve Got Mail, Logan’s Run, Evan Almighty, Hot Fuzz & Apocalypto – copied into my external drive.
About an hour later, he went to meet his brother at the movies and I left to meet a friend at Velocity for drinks & lunch. Turns out my friend had to cancel but I was hungry and thirsty so what the fuck, I’m in a bar and so I ordered some noodles & pork and down four vodkas. The bar had a dvd of Boney M videos and live songs playing on their large tv. There was a group of 6 huge men in their late 40s and early 50s bouncing around and bopping about in their seats to the beat of Boney M. Bopping – I just love this word!
I enjoyed my lunch and drinks and it was time to get back to the apartment for a little snooze. I watched an episode of Star Trek Voyager before I slept and I woke up to get a cup of coffee and watched You’ve Got Mail. I’ve seen this movie about 10 or 12 times and I love it. There’s a couple of things that I want to post about this movie, so hold on for a bit.