I actually saw this movie in 3 parts, over the course of 2 weeks. It’s an ok movie as far are the newer horror movies go. The Ruins is a 2008 film directed by Carter Smith and starring Jonathan Tucker, Shawn Ashmore, Jena Malone, Laura Ramsey and Joe Anderson & is based on the novel of the same name by Scott Smith, who also wrote the screenplay.
Two couples on holiday in Mexico help a German tourist Mattias look for his brother and Dimitri who is searching for his girlfriend in an ancient Mayan ruins site. Just as the arrive, angry villagers attack them and they climb the ancient ruins. Dimitri is shot and killed when he tries to approach the villagers to explain. When Mattias falls while being lowered into a minshaft at the top of the ruins, he is paralysed.
The two girls go down to help him back up. Unfortunately the vines are alive and creep into both Mattias and Stacy. It spreads into their bodies and frightens the hell outta the group. The villagers won’t let them go as they fear that they might spread the infection. The group realizes that the vines are predatory and that the Mayans are actually trying to keep them quarantined and have salted the earth all around the hill.
There’s a brutal amputation scene and also it’s funny that the flowers on the vines can mimic sounds, like voices & cell phone ringing. At the end Amy (Malone) is the only one to escape while the rest are all killed and she makes her way to safety – and later we see two unsuspecting Greek tourists making their way towards the ruins. 7 outta 10!
It’s been a while since I’ve answered a meme, so hope you like this one: Meg has asked all her readers some questions
1. What internet activity tends to drag you down the wormhole (endlessly clicking through photo albums on Facebook, daisy-chaining weird Wikipedia entries, reading about gadgets, celebrity gossip, price-checking on shopping websites)?
A. Clicking through Flickr for photos that peak my interest, or going through Youtube videos.
2. What one thing do you do every single week to maintain your sanity?
A. I have an hour or two long chat with a friend; she always makes me feel better.
3. What is your favourite kind of weather?
A. Raining throughout the afternoon and evening; it’s quite hot in Cochin, where I live.
4. Tell me all about your perfect fall day: where do you go? Who are you with? What do you eat? Extra points for detail (although I don’t know what you’ll do with those points.)
A. Go to Barista Cafe for a nice grilled smoked chicken sandwich (light but delicious), some cold coffee with whipped cream. Wander through the mall looking at stuff that I can’t afford to buy, then going to the mall opposite that to buy cheap dvds, and then going for drinks & lunch.I’m usually by myself. If not, I’d want my two best friends Madhu & Anil to hang around with. Drinks are usually vodka + sprite, food is varied.
5. If I went into your closet and stole one item of clothing, which theft would make you cry?
A. There’s my favourite shirt, it’s blue with strips and extremely comfortable.
6. Dedicate a song to someone!
A. For You by the Barenaked Ladies! I dedicate this…to the cutie from Bangalore!