1. Matthew Perry lost part of his middle finger during preschool after his grandfather accidentally shut his car door on Perry’s hand.
2. His mother, Suzanne Marie Morrison is a Canadian journalist as well as former press secretary to now Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau.
3. While growing up, Matthew Perry took a keen interest in tennis and also became a top-ranked junior player. He has said in many of his interviews that he tried to play in the States but his talent wasn’t good enough.
4. From 1995-1996, Matthew Perry dated actress Julia Roberts, Lauren Graham in 2003, and then Lizzy Caplan from 2006 to 2012.
5. In May 2013 Perry received a Champion of Recovery award from the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy for opening The Perry House, which is a sober living home situated in his mansion in Malibu, California.
6. When auditioning for the part of Chandler Muriel Bing, Matthew Perry didn’t need a script because he knew the pilot by heart as he had been helping his friend with the same part before auditioning himself.
7. Before rising to the limelight, he was battling with a serious addiction to drugs and alcohol. Perry even got into the rehabilitation center in order to overcome this serious issue. The actor later clarified that it did not affect the show much, however, he often used to arrive for the shoot with a “terrible hangover.”
8. Matthew Perry’s wit is so legendary that even the directors often used his gags as well as suggestions on the show and he was only cast members of Friends who was allowed to sit with the writers.
9. Friends earned him Emmy nominations in the year 2002 for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, with Matt LeBlanc also being in the race, but he lost to Ray Romano.
10. The first time Perry ever got onto the cover of People magazine, he sent a copy to one of his old teachers, named Dr. Web, who once said he would never achieve anything if he kept joking around all the time.