Dragon fruit is always been tempting but it is only recently that I have started eating me. If like me you haven’t tasted this awesome fruit, here are some reasons to have this powerhouse of nutrition, equipped with many health-benefiting properties become part of your diet:
1. Low Cholesterol : Dragon fruit is extremely low is terms of cholesterol, as well as saturated and trans fats. Regular consumption of the fruit can not only be refreshing but also help you in maintaining a healthy heart in the long run. Those of you who are on a weight loss regime, it may be a good idea to include it in your diet. Moreover, the seeds present in the fruit are loaded with omega 3 fatty acids which are essential for your well-being.
2. High in Fiber : According to a study done by the researchers at the University of Leeds, increasing consumption of fibre-rich foods can lower risk of both cardiovascular disease (CVD) and coronary heart disease (CHD). Dragon fruit is a good source of dietary fiber, therefore it is not only great for the heart, but also helps in maintaining blood pressure and weight.
3. Antioxidant Rich : Vibrant in colour, which also means that dragon fruit is filled with phytonutrients that can provide you your much required dose of antioxidants. Antioxidants help in fighting free radicals which could damage your cells and even lead to cancer. A diet rich in antioxidants is said to keep your heart healthy and the skin young.
4. Heart Healthy : Because dragon fruits are loaded with fiber and antioxidants, they both contribute to keeping the heart healthy and young. They fight against plaque clogging up in the arteries, maintaining the blood circulation in the body.
5. Skin Care : The exotic fruit is commonly used in natural remedies for beauty because of its high antioxidant content as well as vitamins. Ancient beauty practices in the southeast Asian countries believe that making a paste of dragon fruit flesh and applying it regularly on the face can help in slowing down the process of ageing, making you look younger. The paste is also used in treating acne and sunburn.
6. High Source of Potassium : Dragon fruit is loaded with essential minerals, particularly potassium and calcium which help in maintaining bone structure. Regular consumption of potassium is extremely vital for cellular, electrical, nervous functions of our body. In simpler words, potassium plays a key role in maintaining water content, pH or acid balance in our body. According to a study done by Shiga University of Medical Science in Japan, if you are a diabetic, having a diet rich in potassium may help you protect your heart and kidney.
7. Vitamin C : Since dragon fruit is a good source of vitamin C, it helps in strengthening immunity, aiding the absorption of iron by the body, producing collagen which makes our teeth healthier, and promoting a healthy and glowing skin. Vitamin C also helps boost your immunity, thereby keeping you from getting sick.