A Perfect Getaway is a psychological thriller movie released in 2009 and was a minor hit. Based solely on the awesome trailer, I really wanted to see this movie. And I did last evening – and it wasn’t as great as I expected it to be. The film was shot in Puerto Rico and Hawaii, and was released on August 7, 2009 in the US, and on August 12 in the UK and stars Steve Zahn, Timothy Olyphant, Milla Jovovich, Kiele Sanchez, Marley Shelton, and Chris Hemsworth. So what’s the movie about?
- Cydney & Cliff are on honeymoon in Hawaii and spending it by hiking to a remote beach. On the way over there they hear about the gruesome murder of another couple, whose teeth and fingers were cut off after they were killed. They still go on the trip.
- On route they meet Cleo and Cale, a rough looking couple who intimidate them. They manage to insult Cale without meaning to.
- Cliff & Cydney then meet up with another couple Nick & Gina who are vacationing there. They join up to hike to the remeote beach. Nick claims to have titanium plate in his head, a souvenir from his tour of Iraq. He plans to propose to Gina while on the beach but she has no clue.
- It looks like the rough couple are stalking Cliff in an effort to intimidate him. Already looking suspicious, at some point on the island, Kale and Cleo are arrested by the police and are found with a container of pulled teeth in their bag.
- Now you think that the criminals are caught but in a twist to the tale, the timid looking Cliff turns out to be a phycho killer an he shoots Nick while the two of them go canoeing. Nick is stunned but is saved due to the titanium plate in his head – which is what the bullet hit.
- Meanwhile Cydney is cooking and Gina discovers that the seemingly loving couple aren’t who they say they are. She had idly picked up Cydney’s digital camera and gone through the photos when she realized that the camera actually belonged to the couple who were murdered. She runs to warn Nick and Cydney runs behind her.
- The girls tangle with each other and Cydney managed to stick a knife in Gina’s leg, but the latte pushes the former into the ocean. Cyndey swims back to the beach while Cliff (while hanging onto a cliff) tries to get to Gina. She stabs the knife into his hand and runs away. She meets up with a few people from town who came looking for the canoes that were rented. Cliff confuses them for a while by claiming that Gina is his stoned wife but the people don’t fall for it. Cliff shoots them all dead as Gina runs.
- Meanwhile Nick recovers by this time and catches up with Cliff. He jumps on top of him with a mini axe swinging – it slices Cliff’s hand in two. With the other hand still wounded by the stabbing that Gina inflicted, Cliff is unable to properly pick up a gun and shoot at Nick. Nick gets the upper hand and almost shoots Cliff dead but Gina tells him not to.
- While this is happening, Cydney has flagged down a police chopper and directs them to the scene. She tells them that she has found the killer and that he is planning to kill again. The cops sees the two men and asks which one is the killer. Instead of pointing Nick out and saving her husband Cliff, she tell the cops that Cliff is the killer. The cops see Cliff crawling to pick up a fallen gun and they shoot him dead. Why?
- Turns out that Cliff, whose real name is Rocky, took Cydney out on a date many years ago. She thought that he was a perfect gentleman and just after they made love, he showed her the dead carcass of a neighbour’s dog. He had killed the dog and threatened to kill her if she told anybody. He dragged her into a life of murdering couples and stealing their identities – in bid to stay immortal, as he claims Cydney saw a chance to get away from that life and that’s why she told the cops that Rocky aka Cliff was the killer.
- And in a sappy ending, Nick, strapped to a stretcher proposes to a weepy Gina while they leave the island in a helicopter. But wait a minute – what the fuck happens to Cydney? That’s a question left unanswered.
Surprise casting; funny man Steve Zahn, who I have always liked, as a psycho killer. The dude is very convincing. And Mila Jovovich as Cydney plays a believable almost ditzy & dumb, woman in love until she shows her true colours. Keile Sanchez, who I have only seen in Married To The Kelleys, is also good. Overall I’d give it a 6 outta 10.