What an interesting World Cup it has been so far
- Uruguay and Mexico finish 1st & 2nd place in their group A after 3 matches. Hosts South Africa unfortunately fail to cross the group stage and finish in 3rd place with 1 win, 1 draw and 1 loss.
- What about France? 1998 champs and 2006 finalists, the French were abysmal and were chucked out of the Cup, with 1 draw and 2 defeats. Atleast they scored a goal unlike in 2002!
- Argentina had too much talent & class in group B and finished with 3 wins, but South Korea trumps over both Greece and my fav African team Nigeria to finish 2nd in the group.
- One surprise in group C; it’s the USA who top the group with 5 points – two draws and a win. England finally hemmed and hawed and after two draws they finally got a win against Slovenia that gave them 5 points and finished second to go through to the next stage.
- Group D saw Germany defeated by Serbia but still 6 points from wins in the other 2 games were enough to see them top the group. Surprisingly Ghana, who will be the lone African side in the round of 16, finished 2nd in the group over Australia & Serbia.
- Group E sees the Netherlands win all 3 matches without much fuss and top the group. Japan trumped over Denmark last night and finish second. Cameroon finished last in E.
- Group F and how them mighty have fallen. Defending champions Italy finish last in the group with 2 draws and a loss to Slovakia. Paraguay finish top in the group followed by Slovakia. Even New Zealand had more points than Italy!
There’s still 2 more groups to finish the 3d matches but so much has happened that I just had to post this.