Aquaman is a 2018 American superhero film based on the DC Comics character of the same name, and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is the sixth installment in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). Directed by James Wan, with a screenplay by David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick and Will Beall, from a story by Geoff Johns, Wan and Beall, it stars Jason Momoa as the title character, with Amber Heard, Willem Dafoe, Patrick Wilson, Dolph Lundgren, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, and Nicole Kidman in supporting roles. It is the third live-action theatrical film featuring Aquaman, following Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) and Justice League (2017), and the first full-length feature film centered around the character. In Aquaman, Arthur Curry, the heir to the underwater kingdom of Atlantis, must step forward to lead his people against his half-brother, Orm, who seeks to unite the seven underwater kingdoms against the surface world.
- The special effects are awesome. They create a whole new world or two underwater and they didn’t spare any effort to make it look amazing. The details are there to be seen.
- Choice of cast – I’ve heard this being said several places that Jason Momoa was born to play Aquaman. I could have said that about his role in Stargate : Atlantis and in Conan The Destroyer remake. Maybe even Khal Drogo in Game Of Thrones. But he does a great job here, though he is becoming a one-dimensional actor or typecast. That’s what it seems to me with his roles.
- Amber Heard – she had kinda disappeared for a long time, if I am not mistaken. Post her films in 2009-11, the most noise has come from her tumultuous marriage & later divorce from Johnny Depp. She does a good job over here though that red hair looks so fake.
- The supporting cast – good jobs by Patrick Wilson (who I thought was an odd choice for a villain but was convincing), Dolph Lundgren, Nicole Kidman, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II & William Dafoe. I especially liked Nicole Kidman’s performance.
- Temuera Morrison portrays Thomas Curry, the lighthouse keeper who is Arthur Curry’s father – and I was wondering, hey he looks a lot like Django Fetta and the voice for the stormtropper clones in the Star Wars prequel movie Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (2002) and Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005).
Action & fight scenes are really well done. It’s mostly good ole fun and entertainment without thinking much about anything deep and light on the science fiction. I knew very little about Aquaman the comic character in comic books or otherwise until the 2016 appearance by Momoa in Justice League though I had some idea about this character. It’s a good afternoon of fun but I was surprised as to how much money it has made so far. 8 outta 10 for me!