Loosely based on the Greek myth of Perseus, Clash Of The Titans is a 2010 remake of the 1981 hit movie. Sam Worthington takes over Harry Hamlin’s role of the demi-God Perseus, son of the king of Gods Zeus and a mortal woman. Directed by Louis Leterrier and made on a budget of $125 mil, the movie has made nearly $500 as of date.
The movie also stars heavyweights & award winning actors Liam Neeson as Zeus, Ralph Fiennes as Hades and Pete Postlethwaite as Spyros along with Mads Mikkelsen as Draco. Gemma Arterton, Alexa Davos play the two main female characters of the myth while Polly Walker has a brief role as Cassiopeia. I think most of you must know the story (I myself first learned of this myth as a 9 or 10 year old in school, where the tale of how Perseus defeat Medussa was a lesson included in an English class), so here’s just a few points about the movie (my 20 cents):
- Some great talent was wasted here – Pete Postlethwaite dies early, Neeson & Fiennes don’t really get to do much. Polly Walker also has a very brief role as does Alexander Siddig.
- Did not like the computer generated Medussa (although using an actress’s image); it had little effect and detracted from the great myth.
- Sam Worthington seems to be the man of the blockbusters at the moment. Avatar, Terminator : Salvation and now this role here.
- The giant scorpions were good and I think their movements were realistic, even if it’s on a huge scale.
- The witches were quite tacky. I’ve seen better!
- One thing going really well for the movie; although long there’s never a dull moment. It’s keeps going on a a good pace.
- The Kracken was a great disappointment, very dumb looking.
7 outta 10!