Share your favorite pasta recipe.
American Chop Suey is an Indo Chinese dish which is available in many Chinese restaurants in India. We have no clue as to why this is called American Chopsuey – it isn’t the same as the dish with that name in the USA. But it is one of my fav dishes to eat. The combination of crispy noodles, beef, chicken and/or seafood with crunchy vegetables topped with sauce and egg makes it look and taste appetizing.
- Boil the noodles according to the package instructions or till the noodles is perfectly cooked. Do not overcook it.
- Make ‘bulls eye’ eggs – basically sunny-side-up.
- After draining the noodles, deep fry in oil little at a time till it becomes crispy. Remove on paper towels to remove excess oil.
For Making The Sauce
- Put a wok or stir fry pan on high heat. Add 1-2 tblsp of oil.
- Add the chicken strips to this and stir fry on high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add beef strips and any seafood if you want to add them.
- Add the finely chopped garlic, ginger and sliced onions. Continue to fry till the chicken gets cooked.
- Now add all the veggies and stir fry on high heat so that all the vegetables should be cooked but still retain their crispiness.
- In the mean time, take the corn flour in a separate bowl and add the chicken stock to it little by little so that it gets mixed up without forming any lumps. Add the soy sauce, tomato ketchup, chilly sauce, salt and pepper to this.
- Add this mixture to the cooked veggies and let it cook for about 10 minutes till the sauce is reduced and thickened. Taste the sauce to check for seasonings.
- Place the fried noodles in a plate and crush it slightly with hands.
- Put some of the sauce with the veggies and meat on top of the noodles.
- Garnish with a bulls-eye egg (sunny side up) on top and serve hot. Top the noodles with the sauce just before serving to retain the crispiness of the noodles.
Delicious and filling and goes well with beer, vodka, rum and anything else.