We have here a funny film, hilarious and pee inducing. The Change Up was produced and directed by David Dobkin, written by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore, and stars Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman as two guys, best friends but who live totally opposite lives and who get a body swap by a mysterious magic fountain. The movie also has solid supporting cast of Leslie Mann, Olivia Wilde & Alan Arkin.
I don’t understand why this film didn’t do well while other similarly crude styled comedies did better. I found this to be funnier than most of the recent comedies like Hangover 1 & 2, Horrible Bosses & Bridesmaids. Anyway I hope the movie, which didn’t do well in the box office does better on dvd & Blu Ray.
- So as established earlier responsible dad Dave Lockwood (Justin Bateman) & Mitch Planko (Ryan Reynolds) are best friends but they live different lives. Mitch is a carefree bachelor, who works in small acting jobs and sleeps around while Dave is an over worked lawyer with the needs of his wife Jamie (Leslie Mann) & 3 kids (twin babies included) clashing with that of his work but he manages, at the expense of romance time with his wife.
- The scene where Dave has to change diapers and the baby’s ass cheeks part – all stops – and then it’s shit flies in the air to splash on his face is priceless!
- Anyway one night after a lot of drinking the two friends admit to each other at the same time that they each envy the other’s life & would like to have the other’s life – while peeing into a fountain in the park. It is a magical statue with the fountain and they both get swapped with each other’s bodies. Panic initially arises!
- Mitch in Dave’s body must do well at his friend’s work, juggle babies, family life and the role of a husband while Dave in Mitch’s body has to go act in a movie – his first leading role. Only on reaching the set he finds out that it is a porno movie and the sex scene with a huge titted porn star is hilarious.
- Another sex scene is where Dave in Mitch’s body is convinced that having sex with the ball of fire Tatiana wouldn’t actually be cheating on his wife, as it is in Mitch’s body. An excited Dave sees Tatiana – an almost 9 months pregnant Tatiana who wants to have sex as it relaxes her! Unfortunately Dave cannot do it.
- More gross humour is when Mitch in Dave’s body awaits Jamie in bed – she walks by, looking all sexy in the nude, Warrant’s Cherry Pie plays in the background, she smiles heads to the bathroom – and proceeds to shit with loud farting noises! The moment is gone for Mitch!
- They then decide to make a real effort at it and a successful for a change. Complications arise when Mitch’s estranged father comes to invite him for his wedding and also in the form of Sabrina, Dave’s sexy assistant who hits it off with Mitch.
- The two must find the fountain with the magical statue and find that it was taken away from the park and is now in a mall. The two go to the mall, find the fountain and pee in it – while shoppers are aghast. They are returned back to their respective bodies. Jamie is pleased to have Dave with more time for her & the kids while Mitch finally decides for a real relationship with Sabrina.
It’s funny, gross & gut busting humour but funny still. The lead actors are skilled enough to pull it off. Forget the box office, get this movie and laugh from beginning till end. 8 out of 10 for me!