Justice League is a 2017 American superhero film based on the DC Comics superhero team of the same name, consisting of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg. Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, the film is the fifth installment in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). The film is directed by Zack Snyder with a screenplay by Chris Terrio and Joss Whedon, from a story by Terrio and Snyder. It features an ensemble cast that includes Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Gal Gadot, Ezra Miller, Jason Momoa, Ray Fisher, Jeremy Irons, Diane Lane, Connie Nielsen and J. K. Simmons.
Thousands of years ago, Steppenwolf and his army of Parademons attempt to conquer and remake Earth through the combined energies of the Mother Boxes. They are foiled by a unified army that included the Olympian Gods, Amazons, Atlanteans, ancient humans, and Green Lanterns. After repelling Steppenwolf’s army, the Mother Boxes are separated and hidden in locations around the world.
- So what did I think of this film? I watched it in Lulu PVT Gold (the plush recliner seats and expensive theatres of Lulu PVR) last evening with my cousin and we liked it a lot. It’s not my favourite superhero film but it’s pretty good.
- We have a weak, one-dimensional almost cartoonish villain who keeps babbling about. That kinda spoiled it a bit. We should be getting more complex and evil villains.
- Gal Gadot is a sight for sore eyes. She really was meant to play this role, this version of Wonder Woman, just like Linda Carter was made to play the 70s version. She is gorgeous, graceful, classy and a bad ass. She brings to life the superhero of our childhood and dreams. She is probably my favourite superhero playing character of all the ones rights now (sorry but Christopher Reeve is still #1 of all time for me).
- Ben Affleck does an tremendous job again as an older Batman. He has fit into the role so well that even I, a former Affleck non-fan and critic, has warmed up to him. I would gladly watch several films of him as the detective Batman. Sadly, I doubt if we are going to see him in them for another film, if the rumours are true.
- Ezra Miller is fun as Barry Allen aka The Flash and provides the comedic elements to this film. He has averted my fears of doing a good job in this role though for me, Grant Gustin IS THE FLASH. I don’t care how many movies Miller makes in the DC’s movieverse, he just won’t be Flash enough for me.
- Likewise Ray Fisher as Cyborg is a good addition. I don’t know anything about Cyborg to compare his performance to but I think he did very well. There is a progressive change in the character’s evolution in the movie. Also, I have never seen the actors in a role before. There is supposed to be a standalone movie on the Cyborg character sometime soon.
- Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry aka Aquaman – although he was good, Jason plays the same type of grumpy or gruff musclebound character in everything he is known for. Ronan in Stargate Atlantis, Conan The Barbarian, Khal Drogo in Game Of Thrones and now as Aquaman. I know he can’t change his style and physical appearance but he doesn’t show much variety.
- Henry Cavill as Clark Kent aka Superman has an awesome return in the film. I haven’t been sold on Cavill as Superman. I find him to rigid and lacking any charisma. Perhaps I am comparing him to evergreen and fan favourite Christopher Reeve but that is bound to happen. Cavill is a big guy but he is no charmer like Reeve was. Still, I liked him better here than in the previous two movies he has been as Superman!
- Diane Lane, Amy Adams, JK Simmons, Connie Nielsen & Jeremy Irons return to portray their supporting characters to good effect in the film. And the post-credit scene showing Joe Manganiello and Jesse Eisenberg as Slade Wilson / Deathstroke and Lex Luthor, respectively looks ominous and interesting.
Everyone else did a find job. The story was ok, the fight scenes were pretty good and the laughs were well timed. We had fun watching it in the theatre. And that’s all we can ask for. I liked the special effects and the script though I felt that it would have been better if they had the movie be longer than it was. 8 outta 10!