To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.
Advantages of being an Atheist:
1. INTELLIGENCE : Atheists tend to have higher IQs and have been shown to generally be more intelligent than religious people. Intelligent people also tend to spend more time in school, which in turn leads to greater success professionally.
2. BETTER JOBS : This follows from the previous reason – more intelligent people tend to do better in the workplace. The same studies that have shown higher levels of IQs for atheists also equated that with getting higher-level jobs and higher pay.
3. SELF-ESTEEM & SELF-RELIANCE : These are two sides of the same coin. Atheists are not being told that they are guilty and sinful, as is the case with many religious teachings. This leads to higher self-esteem and a feeling of control over life’s events. As atheists do not expect a deity to help them solve a problem, they will address it personally and directly. The increased self-reliance can have a positive effect on their own lives, but also on the lives of others. When there’s no wheel of life, reincarnation, heaven, or hell, the responsibility for made choices lies with individuals.
4. HEALTH : Atheists believe in science and would not stand in the way of medical treatments on religious grounds. While there have been studies that showed the mental and physical health benefits of being a believer, there have also been recent studies that showed no significant difference in the mental health of religious and non-religious people. In fact, it can be argued that having strong self-esteem and better economic status would make atheists more healthy.
5. PROGRESS : Atheists tend to value scientific discovery more and are less likely to stand in the way of scientific progress as has often happened for religious reasons. An atheistic society is more rational and science-oriented.
6. PEACEFULNESS : Atheists do not start wars or commit acts of terrorism for religious reasons, just to prove their deity is the correct one. On the other hand, Marxist-Leninist atheism at the core of communism has certainly given atheism a bad name, but it’s not necessarily an argument that it was atheism itself that led to the repressions and killings. There were complex historical, social, and economic reasons for that. Atheists tend to not kill others for the sake of atheism.
6. SCEPTICISM : Atheists are generally skeptical and tend to look at issues from a rational, often scientific standpoint that demands proof. For an atheist, elements of reality are observable and can be tested.
7. SOCIAL ISSUES : Atheists tend to be very involved in social justice issues. They do not believe in some higher power or order that could have pre-ordained a human’s lot in life. Everything is of this material universe and can be improved upon.