1 cup basmati rice, soaked 15 minutes
2 tablespoons oil or ghee
1 ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
3 green cardamom pods
3 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1 black cardamom
½ cinnamon stick
½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 pound boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into quarters
1 ½ teaspoons salt, adjust to taste
½ teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon garam masala
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 cup water
- Soak the basmati rice in cold water for 15 minutes. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Press the saute? button. Add the oil/ghee to the pot. When it melts, add the whole spices and stir. Once they begin to sizzle add the onions. Stir-fry for 7-8 minutes or until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chicken and spices. Stir-fry for 5 minutes or until most of the outside of the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the rice and water to the pot and mix well.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 6 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Open the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Discard the whole spices if desired, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.