Finally we get the tournament started. The 2020 UEFA European Football Championship, or simply Euro 2020, is starting off tonight with the first game to be played between Turkey & Italy. We only have one game being played tonight. The tournament, to be held in 11 cities in 11 UEFA countries, was originally scheduled from 12 June to 12 July 2020. The tournament was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic in Europe and rescheduled for 11 June to 11 July 2021. The tournament retains the name “UEFA Euro 2020”.
UEFA President Michel Platini said in 2012 that the tournament was to be hosted in several nations as a “romantic” one-off event to celebrate the 60th “birthday” of the European Championship competition. The 11 venues for Euro 2020 are as follows:
- Olympic Stadium in Baku, Azerbaijan
- Parken Stadium in Copenhagen, Denmark
- Wembley Stadium in London, England
- Allianz Arena in Munich, Germany
- Puskás Aréna in Budapest, Hungary
- Stadio Olimpico in Rome, Italy
- Amsterdam Arena in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Arena Na?ional in Bucharest, Romania
- Krestovsky Stadium in Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland
- La Cartuja in Seville, Spain
I think we can use this big scale tournament can act as a distraction from all the issues with the pandemic and we can celebrate and have some fun.